Sunday, October 1, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #2 "Ice Sharks"



So following my eye-rolling yet silly adventure watching Sharknado 4, I decided to continue the shark goodness by checking out "Ice Sharks," which made it's debut on the SyFy network, bastion of cheesy horror flicks. I didn't have high hopes for this one, but I like shark movies, so I was hoping for some fun.

The movie opens with a sequence that actually kind of impressed me. It's not the pinnacle of cinematic genius or anything, but it was tense and gory and better than what I would have expected. I actually kind of liked the main characters too, a team of researchers trying to figure out why hunters keep disappearing in this remote Arctic area. Unlike the Sharknado flicks, which are supposed to be silly, this movie is supposed to be more "serious horror" than cheesy comedy, so the movie at least tries to have a creepy atmosphere, which I liked. I want some horror with my Horror Challenge, dammit!

Back to the plot. The team of researchers isn't prepared for what they encounter, of course. No one considers the possibility of man eating sharks being behind the disappearances, but of course that's what's going on here, and hey, with the climate changing and the polar ice caps melting, who's to say that attacking Arctic ice sharks aren't far behind?  The acting isn't all that great, but I've seen much worse, and once the carnage starts, who cares about award winning performances? The atmosphere manages to stay tense and creepy, and while this isn't the best movie ever, it was still creepy, sharky fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment