Sunday, October 8, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #27: "Circle"



Oh good, what fun, welcome to my other worst nightmare. 50 people wake up in a room, standing in a circle, they have no memory of how they got there or what's going on, but it seems like someone or something abducted them and put them there. Bodies start dropping and it seems that something is killing them off one by one, but they seem to have some control over who lives and who dies. Creepy and weird, right? It kind of reminds me of the movie "Cube," with people forced into a terrifying situation beyond their control, some kind of huge contraption trapping and killing them, and they have to figure out a way to survive.

The reason I said this was my worst nightmare because I already hate people in general. Ok, not really, but people freak me out because we're all so flawed and messed up, so imagine having a room full of strangers who get to decide if you live or die? Sounds fun, right? And if you think people in horror movies tend to turn on each other anyway, imagine how much worse it would be in a situation like this where you seem to be in charge of who lives or dies. Ugh.

I always hate this idea, those hypothetical situations you sometimes hear in team building exercises, where a group of people have to pick one person to die so the rest if them can live? Or those riddles where three people are drowning and you can only save one and you have to choose? Those kinds of things piss me off, because who says we should get to choose who deserves to live? It's bullshit to me (and I used to get in trouble a lot because I'd say as much during those team building exercises because I refused to just play along).  Maybe it's just me, but that's not a game to me, having to choose someone who deserves to die (and what kind of fucked up person thinks that's a fun game to play?) Creepy.

This movie is an interesting idea, and all the actors do s good job of playing random people forced into a horrible situation who want to live but seem to be forced to choose who deserves to die. It's the kind of movie that would fall apart pretty quickly if it had bad acting, but it works. I was definitely glued to the screen, waiting to see what would happen next. And to their credit, the filmmakers do try to come up with things to keep us interested in the story. Of course, movies like this have to end eventually, and there's a limited number of ways this thing can go. I for one am a little impressed that the movie went the way it did. I guess you'll have to see it for yourself to decide if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment