Wednesday, October 25, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #84: "Phantasm IV: Oblivion"



The tagline for this movie is "The sequel with balls!" which shows that the filmmakers knew that the floating metal sphere with spikes that drills into peoples' heads was almost a more famous character than any of the other characters in the movie. It's definitely a cool effect, and given the ending of the third movie, I figured the spheres might play a bigger role than ever in the third movie. Speaking of the third movie, it wasn't as great as the first two, but that ending was awesome and a lot to live up to. We'll see if the fourth one can carry that torch further, or if it will fall flat. May the odds be ever in your favor, movie.

In this sequel, Reggie is traveling around the country, hoping to figure out the Tall Man's secrets so he can save Mike from being turned into one of the Tall Man's strange henchmen type creatures. This movie has a lot of flashbacks to the first movie. I get that, since sometimes to figure out the future you need to go back to the past (or at least that's what "Back to the Future" taught me) but I hope this doesn't wind up being one if those sequels that's like 87% clips from the earlier movies. That was such a bummer in "The Hills Have Eyes 2"or "Silent Night Deadly Night 2."

This movie didn't come out until 1998, so I was already most grown by then, but I really wish I'd been able to watch it when I was a kid, because I know I would have thought it was awesome then. A lot of the plot elements just don't work for me like they would have when I was a kid. Car driving by itself? We have cars that do that now. No big deal. Coffin as portal to another world? Seems silly instead of cool. Sometimes adulthood sucks the fun out of everything.

It's not all bad, of course. I know I made fun of the filmmakers for attempting to give the Tall Man a backstory (he's the hooker with a heart of gold!) but the time warp scenes with him are actually pretty interesting. Plus there's some good gore here too. There's one scene where Reggie saves a woman from dying, then winds up sharing a motel room with, that actually kind of creeped me out and had me crossing my arms protectively over my boobs in horror. Eeeewwwww.

As a plus, seeing people get stabbed and that lemon pudding-like stuff leaking out of the cuts instead of blood will always wig me out a little. And Angus Scrimm will always be creepy as the Tall Man, so even when the movie is kind of ridiculous and I'm wondering why the hell Reggie Bannister is dressed up like the ice cream man from wild west town, the movie will still have enough creepy moments to keep it interesting. I was definitely digging through more shit to find the good with this sequel, though, which doesn't bode well for the prospect of the next film being very good. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment