Saturday, October 14, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #42: "The Babysitter (2017)"



This is a Netflix original movie, which means they're pushing it pretty hard, especially on me, since I inhale horror movies around this time of year. Normally I wouldn't mind too much, because hey, I have to watch 100 horror movies this month anyway, so seeing one plastered all over the screen helps me choose which movie to watch next (I have issues with this...I'll dink around for 10 minutes trying to pick a movie). The problem with this movie is that it's billed as a "horror comedy," and we all know my distrust of those, because they have a tendency to be stupid instead of funny. Here's hoping that this one is different.

"No one learns anything in class, Cole. That's why we have the internet."

I give this movie some credit, because a young girl utters this line in the first few minutes of the movie, and it's actually funny, which gives me some hope for the rest of the movie. Bella Thorne is in the movie too, which is good for me because I like her. She plays a fun character too; a teen girl who (while not the main character) has some of the funniest lines in the movie.

Our protagonist is a slightly nerdy young boy who is probably too old for a babysitter, but he doesn't complain, because come on, she's hot, so who wouldn't want her watching over them? The fun begins when his parents go away for a weekend and leave him with the babysitter, and then on the first night she's watching him he sneaks downstairs after he's supposed to be asleep, and he learns she's hiding a terrifying secret. Damn kids and their meddling. Those Scooby Doo villains were right, it is annoying.

Something else this movie has going for it: it made me jump out of my seat once (totally wasn't expecting that, so I didn't brace myself). It also made me laugh a lot. Judah Lewis, the kid who plays Cole, does a great job here. His line delivery is enough to make me laugh on it's own. I love dry humor. Samara Weaving is awesome as the hot babysitter Bee, too. She can watch over me anytime. There's even some good gore here, and once the action starts going down it's fast paced and a lot of fun. I've seen some bigger name movies that don't have this much going for them. I'm definitely glad I checked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment