Tuesday, October 3, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #11: "The Devil's Candy"



Whenever I see a movie like this, it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with society. There are tons of terrible movies out there that I have to watch 55444577 commercials for, but a movie like this comes around and I've never even heard the name, so I think it must be terrible, but then I watch it and it's great, and I want to tear my hair out. Do you know how many people would like this movie if they got a chance to see it? But they don't, because no one even knows it exists, and the movie studio us all, "well, that was a failure." Of course it was, you idiots, people can't watch a movie they don't know exists!

Ok, enough of that, fuck the studio, here's why I liked this movie so much. It's not an original premise (family move into house with dark past, evil comes after them) but there are some touches that make it stand out. The dad is a painter and the mom is the breadwinner of the family (usually it would be the mom who was the artist, not the dad, unless he's a writer, because we all know men never paint pictures, right? That's women's work!) and both the dad and the daughter are hardcore metalheads, which I thought was cool because I love heavy metal too.

The cast is good, too. I've been digging Ethan Embry in the show "Grace and Frankie," and he does a really good job playing the dad here. Pruitt Taylor Vince does a great job playing the creepy guy here, too. His name might not sound familiar to you, but I'm fairly certain you've seen him before, playing the creepy guy in other movies and shows. It's what he does best. I also really liked  Shiri Appleby as the mom and  Kiara Glasco as the daughter. Their performances helped me connect with the characters, which made the movie much more enjoyable.

Like I said, there's not much new here, but this movie definitely makes me not want to move into a house anytime soon. That never seems to end well for people. There's some good gore here, characters I actually gave a crap about, cool nightmarish imagery, good acting, and a halfway decent plot. This movie definitely deserves more attention than it's gotten. I'm really glad I watched it, and now that you know it exists, you should watch it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment