Tuesday, October 24, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #79: "Repulsion"



And on and on we go, watching all the movies I've wanted to see for years. This one has received great reviews over the years, but for one reason or another I always postponed watching it. There's no time like the present though, right?

This is a Roman Polanski film, which in and of itself gives me reason to put off watching it. "Rosemary's Baby" messed with my head for days after I saw it, so that gave me pause. Plus this movie is about a woman's descent into homicidal madness, so it's not exactly the feel good movie of the year. I decided to stop being a chicken though, since I'm checking out the "Shudder" horror movie streaming service and they had this movie available.

It turns out I was right to be leery of this movie. The main character is an introvert, very childlike even though she's a grown woman who lives with her older sister. She's shy  and awkward and spends a lot of her time daydreaming, and her older sister is very mother-like toward her. When her sister goes on vacation, though, she is left to her own devices, and her daydreams start to take over her life.

The movie is indeed very headache inducing, and I nearly had a heart attack about halfway through when I thought I saw something moving in the corner of my room while she was having one of her nightmarish daydreams, so that was extra freaky for me. It was just my cat, though. She nearly gave me heart failure a few days ago when she crept up behind me and licked my back while I was watching a movie about ghosts. Damn animal, plotting against me. She definitely made the viewing experience more memorable! This whole movie is like a waking nightmare, but it's very good, as long as you cat isn't plotting to kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment