Tuesday, October 10, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 "35: "Visions (2015)"



How did this movie slip by without me noticing it? There's a fairly well-known cast here. I really like Isla Fischer and Jim Parsons and Eva Longoria. I can't believe this movie escaped my notice. Was I living under a rock at the time? Come to think of it, 2015 was a crazy year, maybe I WAS living under a rock. Well, I've crawled my way out and I'm interested in finally getting to see this movie now.

So a husband and his wife, who is pregnant with their first baby, decide to buy an isolated vineyard and they move into the creepy old house on the property, because they've never seen a horror movie ever in their lives, so they don't know that the place is probably cursed or haunted or possessed by at least one evil demon. People who move into new houses in movies like this tend to have horrible things happen to them, is what I'm saying. And true to form, right away the wife, Evelyn, starts to hear voices and see strange visions (hence the title, I suppose, though apparently this movie was released under more than one title, and it was also called "Nightmares." From what I've seen, though, "visions" is a better title, since the scary things she sees come at all times of the day and not just when she's sleeping).

SSo the acting in this movie is pretty good. I like Isla Fischer, like I said before, though this is the first really dramatic movie I've seen her in. She does a good job playing the terrified woman whose life is falling apart around her. Eva Longoria plays a friend, and it's a small part, but she does it well. Jim Parsons is the doctor who cares for Isla Fischer's character Evelyn through her pregnancy. Anson Mount plays the husband, and he's good in the role, but I really want to punch his character in the face. Why is it always the women in these movies who see these creepy visions in these movies? And why don't their husbands ever believe them until it's too late? Given Evelyn's past history, I guess I can see why people think she might be losing it, but I like to think if it were my wife seeing creepy things, that I would believe her, or at least try to investigate her claims instead of just deciding she was going nuts and not taking her seriously.

I've seen a lot of movies in my life, so I kind of figured out what was going on before the big reveal, but the movie was so we'll done that I enjoyed watching the plot unfold even though I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen. Gillian Jacobs also stars in a small but important part as a friend Evelyn makes in her mommy yoga class, and I've seen her in small roles before, so it's nice to see her get a bigger part where she can show off her acting chops. Really, it seems like I know most everyone in this movie, and I don't know how it slipped past me, but I'm glad I got to finally see it. Most movies I watch for this challenge don't have a cast this good or a plot this well executed (even though I guessed where it was going). Overall, I was very impressed with this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment