Sunday, October 1, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #3: "Satanic"



One of the biggest problems I have with attempting to watch 100 or more horror movies in a month is deciding which movie to watch. I always have a few movies I'm looking forward to seeing, but for regular everyday viewing, I often find myself scrolling through page after page of movies, trying to figure out which one will be worth watching. Finally, I let Netflix suggest movies for me by typing in the name of a movie I love and seeing which movies Netflix thinks are similar. It amuses me to no end that Netflix thinks this movie is similar to "The Seventh Victim," because this looks like a cheesy demonic possession flick, but I recognized the actress Sarah Hyland from "Spanglish" and "Scary Movie 5," so I figured, why not?

Sarah Hyland is actually a decent actress, so her character Chloe manages to be convincing enough, and though the other characters are annoying, the acting isn't terrible, especially as bad as it seemed it might be based on that cheesy direct-to-DVD movie cover. The plot finds our 4 main characters on spring break from college, taking a short detour on there way to the music festival Coachella, exploring some areas known to be haunted/connected in some way with Satanic activity. They have the terrible luck to stumble across some serious evil, of course. Who would have thought following people who worship Satan could potentially be dangerous?

There's nothing new under the sun here, but with halfway decent acting and some creepy music and a passable spooky plot, I ended up enjoying this movie. The thing is, I usually end up liking the majority of the movies that I watch, even if they're schlocky direct-to-DVD flicks that other people would consider garbage. Sue me, I like my cheesy horror fun. Especially when it comes in a movie that's at least trying to be good, and when it contains halfway decent performances, like the aforementioned Ms. Hyland, and the actress Sophie Dalah, who plays the character Alice. If you're looking for some cheesy, demonic fun and a movie that doesn't tax your brain too hard, you might want to check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment