Friday, October 13, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #41: "Fairlane Road"



There are several things that don't bode well for this movie. First of all the actors are unknown, which isn't a deal breaker or anything, but it gives me pause because it's hard to tell whether they're good or not at first, and the first real scene if dialogue between characters is a phone call, which doesn't help. One of the main characters has really bad line delivery too, so I hope she's not in the movie too much. It was also hard to find any posters or promotional material for this movie, which either means it's good and the studio screwed up, or it's horrible and they tried to bury it. I guess I'll find out when I watch it.

The movie has been on my radar for awhile. It's about a young man who goes to care for his sick/dying uncle who lives in the middle of the desert, and strange things start to happen. The desert makes for a good, creepy, isolated setting, but right away I notice that a lot if the scenes drag on for way too long, like the editor took a nap or was drinking on the job.

Seriously, there are long, drawn out scenes where NOTHING is happening or people are starting at each other without talking, or the guy is driving aimlessly. I don't know if these scenes we're supposed to build tension or something, but they make the movie really boring and tedious. I thought things might improve once the guy got to his uncle's house, but it's then I discover that neither actir is very good, and the whole movie is basically them talking back and forth, so it's kind of painful to watch.

When supernatural-esque things happen, you can tell the movie is trying to be scary, but it mostly falls flat because everything else surrounding that is so boring. The best actor in this movie is the one who plays our main character's mother, and we never see her, we just hear her voice. She adds some drama to the proceedings, but against the backdrop of long meandering scenes that go nowhere, it just falls flat. I tried to muster up some interest to care about the resolution of the mystery the movie keeps hinting at, but all the negatives just stack up until I don't care anymore and I just want the movie to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment