Monday, October 16, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #55: "Burn Witch, Burn"



I've had it up to HERE with bad horror movies. I'm pissy and angry and simply not in the mood to waste my time again. Seriously. Done. So I decided to return to yesterday's accidental theme of watching movies I've meant to see for a long time now. That seemed to give me the best results as far as watchable movies that didn't make me want to stab myself in the face. This is a movie I've heard about off and on over the years. It was one of those big, overhyped horror movies of the 60s that came with a bunch of ads detailing how terrifying it was, how it caused people to faint in terror, that kind of hype. I don't expect it to scare me, but I'm hoping this movie is at least a cut above the dismal movies I've been watching in recent times.

This movie is about a college professor who has made his career denouncing the occult. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to him, his wife has been secretly practicing witchcraft, desperately trying to protect her husband from the supernatural threats to his life that he refuses to see. He discovers her secret and demands that his wife stop her dabbling in magic, but soon he is embroiled in a battle for not just his career but his very soul.

The professor in this movie is a tool. Seriously. He demands his wife stop practicing magic in her spare time that never affected him until he found out about it? Excuse me, asshole, but my free time is my own, and I don't have to ask for your permission. Seriously, why the fuck does he care so much? Even if I didn't share my wife's beliefs, I'm not going to try to dictate her beliefs and how she practices those beliefs.

Plus of course bad things start happening after his dumb ass makes his wife stop her practicing her beliefs, but he's still mad at her when that happens! Oh sure, dickhead, it's her fault you're a moron. And if witchcraft is so fake, why stop your wife from practicing it at all? It's not like it's dangerous (except it is, and he's too damn stubborn to admit it). Other than wanting to punch him in the face, though, I must admit I enjoyed this movie. It was tense and the performances were good, so it was a lot if spooky fun. Just what I needed to see right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment