Monday, October 30, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #93# "Bodies, Bodies, Bodies"

I've really wanted to see this movie for a long time. My friend Ed was kind enough to gift it to me, but then I put off watching it because I wanted to be in a place where it would really be fun to watch it, but now we're getting down to the wire with only two days left in the challenge, so it's getting to the point where it's now or never. Pete Davidson is in this movie, and he made major headlines last year when he was dating Kim Kardashian, so this movie either got a lot of hate or a lot of good attention, depending on whether people liked or hated the Kardashians. I'm neutral on the subject, and im not going to hate on a movie for its tenuous connection to an over exposed reality TV family. Davidson is also pretty well known for his presence on Saturday Night Live, but as you all know, I'm the most humorless person in all of Nofunnington so i don't typically watch comedy because I don't find it funny, so i didn't really know much about Pete Davidson other than the Kardashian thing, so im coming into this movie pretty blind. I think it might be a slasher but I'm not really sure. I guess we'll see.

So this movie is about a group of "friends" (quotation marke because they don't really seem to like each other very much) who gather at one of their houses for a party in the middle of a hurricane. Pete Davidson plays David, the guy whose parents own the house where they're partying and he spends a lot of time being pissed off that they're going to wreck the house (maybe you shouldn't have agreed to have a party there if you were that worried, bro). Anyway, they rather awkwardly party for several hours before getting bored and deciding to play a party game called "Bodues, Bodies, Bodies" where they turn the lights off and one of them is a killer and the designated killer has to tap someone on the back and that person has to pretend to be dead, and then the rest of the group has to figure out who is the killer. We used to play a similar game called "Mafia" when i was in college, but we didn't actively hate each other, so our games didn't result in this much fighting. Anyway, as they're playing the game, people start dying for real, and they have to figure out who really is a killer before they all end up dead.

When things start to get serious, and bad things start happening, people fall apart. It's like the poem says, "Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world." Yeats really knew what he was talking about. We'veseen it over and over again, usually in zombie movies, where people start letting the stress get to them, and they break down and start tearing each other apart. I can't remember seeing it happen in a slasher before, but this isn't your everyday slasher either. These people are REALLY toxic and they turn on each other at the drop of a hat way before anyone gets murdered, so once people start dying it makes sense that things start getting even worse. Old grievances start resurfacing and people start lashing out and attacking each other. I have to say, I'm impressed with this movie. I didn't have a clue who was really the killer or what was going to happen from one second to the next. It's rare that a movie can genuinely surprise me; because I've just seen too many of them. But this movie got me. Kudos. I highly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment