Sunday, October 8, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #30: "Malignant"

James Wan directed this movie. I wonder if that had any bearing on the music for the movie, because it reminds me a lot of the music from the Saw movies, pulsing heavy metal and hard rock that had me dancing in my seat. I heard about this movie after it came out, and I wanted to see it immediately because I love James Wan movies,and also because it's a horror movie and I love horror. I knew nothing about the movie though; which is how I like it (I want to be SURPRISED when I find out what happens when I watch a movie, not knowing everything that happens already because someone spoiled it for me or I watched a trailer that gave away everything that happens in the movie). All I really knew was that the movie had a woman in it (I learned that from the movie poster). I decided to watch this movie today because I was ready to finally find out what it's all about. Care to join me?

The woman in this movie is named Madison Mitchell, and she suffers from terrifying visions in her waking hours. kinda like the visions Phoebe had in the show "Charmed," visions of violence and terror. These visions scare her and leave her practically paralyzed with fear. She confides in her sister, but like most characters in horror movies, her sister doesn't really believe that anything supernatural is happening. What's even more horrifying is that Madison soon discovers that her visions are real, and she must decide what to do about them, because simply ignoring them is not an option. Right at the beginning of the movie, Madison is attacked by a killer, and suddenly her visions are all about the killer dispatching his victims. Who would believe that? Not the cops. And I know I was ragging on Madison's sister before, but at least she steps up and tries to help Madison once everything starts to go down. Will she and Madison be able to stop the killer before he kills them too?

This is one of those movies that is REALLY LOUD when the action is happening but really quiet the rest of the time, especially when the characters are speaking, so you have to turn the volume up and down, up and down, until it becomes tedious. I hate it when movies do that. It's just about the only thing I don't like about this movie, though. The performances are good, and the actors made me genuinely care about the characters. There's some good gore, and the tension is high throughout the movie. Once the movie starts delving into Madison's backstory, we discover she has an even deeper connection with the killer than at first we thought. That must suck. Ultimately, I kinda have to stop this reviewhere because anything else i say will be a spoiler, and I don'twant to do that to you. Just trust me, this movie has some weird twists in store for you, and while some of them left my suspension of disbelief in tatters on the ground, but I still liked this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment