Wednesday, October 11, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #50: "Maniac Cop"

This movie came out in 1988, which means I've managed somehow to avoid it for 35 years! It's one of those movies I've always wanted to see but I kept putting it off. I don't know why. It stars Tom Atkins who I really love. He's in Halloween III and I always liked him in that so it's nice to see him here as well. I'm ending my streak of avoiding this movie tonight. I was going to stop after my Martyrs binge, but I was so close to 50 movies watched that I couldn't just stop at 49. You know how it is. I hope this movie is good. I've heard good things over the years, so here's my chance.

This movie is about a string of brutal murders in New York city. All the witnesses swear they saw a cop in uniform committing the murders, but the cops don't want to believe that one of their own is a killer. Tom Atkins plays a weathered old cop who is the first one to suspect that the killer really is a cop. He even leaks the story to the local news station because he wants the public to be informed (he's one of the good guys). Soon however he discovers that the killer is no ordinary cop. How can he stop a killer that should already be dead?

Bruce Campbell is in this movie too. He looks so young in this role! Right away I noticed that they keep the killer in the shadows and never show his face. I assume there's going to be a big reveal at some point where we finally see his face. I can't wait. There isn't much gore in this movie. we do get to see a shower scene where a guy gets ambushed and killed, but there isn't much blood. probably the bloodiest scene is where a guy gets killed then thrown into a windshield so his blood runs all down the window. Maybe I've been watching too many Saw movies, but I expected more gore than this in a flick called "Maniac Cop." At least we finally get to see his face at the end, and it's worth the wait. I ended up really liking this movie. You should see it too. Don't wait 35 years like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment