Friday, October 6, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #25: "Nope"

I like Jordan Peele's movies. I mean, I liked "Get Out" and I'm fairly certain that I'll like "Us" too when I watch it, so I guess I technically only like one of his movies so far, but he's a good filmmaker, so I'm hopeful I'll stay a fan after watching this movie. I ran screaming in the opposite direction from anyone who mentioned this movie so I could avoid spoilers, so I have no idea what I'm about to watch. Nifty title, though. I heard somewhere that this movie has something to do with aliens, but I guess we'll see.

This movie is about a man and his sister who spot something otherworldly in the sky above thrir ranch. They are professional horse wranglers, training animals that appear on film and TV. The brother is the first to spot the big thing in the sky, and he and his sister decide to install cameras on their ranch, hoping to capture some aliens on video. The guy they have install the security cameras ends up spying on them and seeing the evidence of alien activity too. Soon the three are working together to film the extraterrestrial happenings. The brother and sister are OJ and Em, respectively, and their horse farm has been losing money since the untimely death of their father. To make a little extrs money, OJ has been selling some of his horses to a guy who runs a wild west theme park called Jupiter's Claim. The guy running the theme park is named Jupe Park, and he's big on exploiting people and his own traumatic childhood as a way to make money. He's basically a big jerk. OJ and Em discover that the UFO is abducting their horses, and they want to try and capitalize on the UFO by selling footage of its exploits. This proves dangerous, as a UFO that can abduct a horse can easily hurt or even kill a human. Will Em and OJ be able to get to the bottom of the alien activity before it takes their lives?

this movie is weird. Like it's about a brother and sisterwho are horse wranglers who get fired from a job when one of their horses gets spooked, then it's a story about the brother and sister tryingto save their failing business, then suddenlyaliens show up and start displaying homicidal tendencies, then the movie jumps into a flashback without warning and suddenly a chimpanzee is killing people and I had to rewind and watch it twice and even open the Wikipedia page in order to understand what was happening. That kind of weird. I love Keke Palmer, who plays Em, so I like anything she's in really, but this movie was a challenge for me because it's so WEIRD. I don't even know what genre this movie is. Horror? Sci-fi? Western? Drama? A mix of them all? It almost reminds me of a Wes Anderson movie that takes place in a world that doesn't quite feel real.

once we're three quarters of the way through the movie, things start happening rapidly and the movie ratchets up the tension and i care about the characters so I'm invested in what's happening in the story, but it still feels kind of disjointed, and the characters do that thing where they decide it's over and everything is fine and the ordeal is over when everything is assuredly NOT fine and nothing's over yet. The movie Poltergeist did that too. Remember when Zelda Rubinstein says "this house is clean!" and then the house is like "lol nope!" Kinda like that. Overall I would say that I enjoyed this movie (once I understood WTF was going on) but like I said, it's WEIRD. Take that as you may.

No comments:

Post a Comment