Sunday, October 8, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #32: "Jeepers Creepers: Reborn"

"Reborn" is a euphamism for "we've screwed up this movie series beyond repair, so let's pretend the other sequels don't exist and try to start again." Sometimes movies do that. Sometimes they take their villains to space (I'm looking at you, "Hellraiser" and "Leprechaun" and "Friday the 13th") and that would be a fun plot for a Jeepers Creepers movie if the filmmakers ever decide to give up and atop trying. Here it looks like they're trying to go back to the scariness of the original movie and make the Creeper scary again unlike the caricature he became in the last two movies. I'm all for pretending those movies don't exist if that's what we're doing, so I was eager to see this one. unfortunately, it got pretty bad reviews from my friends who have seen it, so I don't know what to expect. I guess we'll see what happens.

This movie takes place in a different reality than the first two movies. It's a world where the first three "Jeepers Creepers" movies exist and the characters know about them, but the Creeper is also real and out for blood. After a great opening sequence (which means nothing, because the second movie in this series had a great opening sequence too, and i HATED that movie) we meet out main characters, who are on the hunt for chills and thrils. They're going to a horror festival! My kinda people. our protagonists (named Chase and Laine) are just trying to have a little fun, but Laine is plagued by visions of horrific things happening. She's not a big believer in the supernatural, so she doesn't know what to make of these visions, but they're really scary for her, and she comes to believe that something otherworldly has been summoned and she and Chase must find a way to stop it. The Creeper is back, baby!

This movie is definitely a return to the creepiness of the original movie instead of the cheesiness that overtook the last two sequels. The first movie is about a brother and sister who are going on a road trip when they discover something evil on the backroads and they must try to stop it or at least escape with their lives. It was a horror movie that tried to scare people, unlike the next two sequels, which were more about the comic relief than anything else. There are too many closeup shots of the Creeper's face though. He works better when he's kept in the shadows because he just looks silly when you zoom in on his face like that. I was thinking when this movie started that two main characters didn't leave much room for a high body count in this movie, but luckily our heroes meet up with some other victims...uh, I mean characters.

I don't know what exactly it was that wasn't working, but the movie just wasn't scary to me. I was annoyed by the characters and I wanted them to get killed when I was supposed to be hoping they'd live, so that's a problem. I guess the main characters, Chase and Laine are ok, but everyone else is really flat and one-dimensional. Once the characters are trapped in a house trying to fight off the Creeper, the movie starts to remind me of the Saw movies. Maybe just the one scene with the trap. Maybe I was wishing this would turn into one of the Saw movies so I could stop watching this movie. There's some cool gore, and the opening sequence was great, but the rest of this movie just fails to deliver on every level. You'd be better off watching the death scenes on YouTube and skipping the rest of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment