Friday, October 6, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #24: "Ghostbusters (2016)"

This movie pissed a lot of people off when it came out. The all-female cast turned some people off, and the fact that the characters had no substantive connection with the original characters from the first two Ghostbusters movies was another bone of contention for folks. So people pushed, and the cast and filmmakers pushed back, and it was a big mess on the internet for awhile. i heard all the hoopla going on, but I was just a fan who wanted to see a nee Ghostbusters movie, I didn't want to get political or freak out because I felt like this movie was ruining the legacy of the first two Ghostbusters movies, can't I just sit down and watch a movie in peace? Now that all the furor has died down, I'm left with a movie that a lot of people hate that I really like. Story of my life.

Kristin Wiig plays Erin, a professor at a prestigious university who had a past career as a Paranormal scientist that she's ashamed of now, because everyone knows ghosts aren't real, right? Melissa McCarthy plays Abby, Erin's former partner, is still a true believer trying to prove the existence of ghosts in modern society. She publishes a book written with Erin, which details her theories about the supernatural, and when Erin's boss finds out about the book, she gets fired, so she goes back to work with her old partner Abby trying to study the supernatural. Soon they meet their first real ghost, and their career studying ghosts turns into a career fighting ghosts with Kate McKinnon as Jillian and Leslie Jones as Patty rounding out the team. Unfortunately for our heroines, it turns out that someone is trying to increase the presence of supernatural activity in the city as part of a diabolical plot to take over the world. Soon the Ghostbusters must find a way to stop this plan before it destroys everything and everyone they love.

Melissa McCarthy is one of my favorites, and i love seeing her fight ghosts in this movie. Kate McKinnon is one of my favorites too, and she is really funny in this role. I also like how they have a ditzy blonde secretary in this movie and its a guy! Chris Hemsworth is great in this role. I don't know what else to say, I like this movie and I don't get why so many people hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment