Friday, October 13, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #56: "Violent Night"

Ive heard of this movie a few times since it was released. I avoid spoilers like the plague, but I listened enough to ascertain that this movie it about a killer Santa. I think I've seen that film before. But this one is supposed to be different. In this movie, the killer Santa is a good guy, saving all the other good guys in the movie from the bad guys. That's a different take from the other killer Santa movies I've watched so far ("Silent Night, Deadly Night 5" and "Christmas Evil"). This movie seems a lot more tongue-in-cheek too, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the last movie I watched took itself way too seriously, so this is a breath of fresh air in a way. I guess we'll see.

So like I said, this movie is about a bunch of bad guys who descend upon a rich family's compound with nefarious intent, only to find out that Santa is real, and now he's PISSED. Among the shootings and stabbings there's a lot of whacky music playing to remind us that this is a FUNNY movie. No one ever mentioned that this was a "funny" movie. Maybe I should listen more to other people instead of running away screaming when they talk about movies because I want to avoid spoilers.

The thing about comedies is that i don't really like them. I just don't find certain things funny that other people find funny. I'm a stick in the mud, the most humorless person in all of Nofunnington. Because of that, I don't really find this movie funny. I get that im supposed to laugh when Santa cusses, but ho hum, I'm immune to the charms of this movie. There's some good violence and gore in this movie, but not enough to make it interesting for me. It put me in mind of another horror comedy I've seen called "Botched," but that one was way gorrier than this one, and that one also made me laugh, a rare treat. This could be a great movie and it's just lost on me because I have my funny bone stuck up my ass, so if it sounds good to you, maybe you'll want to check it out. As for me, I remain underwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment