Monday, October 2, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #11: "The Dentist 2: Brace Yourself"

I watched the first Dentist movie right after i got my wosdom teeth sawed out of my head (they were growing in sideways) and ill always remember the image of that woman with all her teeth pulled and her tongue cut out. Yikes. I like Corbin Bernsen, so seeing him play the evil Dr. Feinstone was a lot of fun yet somehow excruciating at the same time. Even the sound of a dentist's drill makes me twitch now, which is great if you want to be scared because they keep playing that sound throughout this sequel, and it makes me cringe every time. I decided to finally check this movie out today after wanting to watch it for years. Let's do this thing!

This movie picks up right where the original lwft off. the psychotic dentist Dr. Feinstone, is locked up in a psychiatric institution after his killing and torturing spree from the first movie. He is still plagued by dreams of what he did and how much he wants to continue torturing and killing people. He pulls a razor blade out of his arm in a nifty escape scene at the beginning of the movie, and he takes a psychiatrist hostage in order to escape. Once out he tries to settle down, but his rage full temper and hatred of bad dentistry soon land him in trouble once again as he resumes his murderous ways. Shane on you, Dr. Feinstone, killing people is wrong.

This is a Brian Yuzna film, and you can really tell. every scene has this dreamlike quality to it, as well as Dr. Feinstone's hallucinations, and that's all very trippy the way Yuzna likes to operate. I didn't think I'd have to issue a trigger warning for self-harm because of this movie, but here we are. The doctor gets slashy on himself after one of his hallucinations in order to bring himself back to reality. He's a loose cannon and there's no telling when he will snap, but we're pretty sure he WILL snap at some point, since this is a horror movie after all. It doesn't take long before Dr. feinstone is back to his old tricks.

The thing about these movies is that they all feature dental torture, so even when they're cheesy and less than believable, they still have me cringing and covering my mouth in terror. those scenes with the dentist drilling on people's bloody teeth to torture them sure look real to me! plus the doctor creeps me out because he reminds me of a doctor I once knew who was nice until he wasn't, and I stil have nightmares about that guy, so this guy works and creeps me out no matter how cheesy the movie is trying to be. I'm definitely not going to the dentist anytime soon after watching this movie. I'm not sure how well normal people will like this movie, but for my money it was a cringe filled gorefest that I liked even better than the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment