Wednesday, October 11, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #47: "Inside (2007)"

I'm so distracted today that this movie was on for five minutes before i realized they weren't speaking French. i was expecting the original movie "Inside" from 2007, which is an intensely gruesome gorefest. I honestly didn't even know they made a remake of this movie until now. You learn something new every day. I don't know what to expect from this movie. i loved the original, but I'm not sure how I'll feel about this one. I tend to like remakes, even when they're bad i usually enjoy them, so it's not that I'm all about hating on remakes or anything, but i have a bad feeling about this one. I just don't see how it can be as good as the original movie.

This movie is about Sarah, a woman mourning the death of her husband while she is nine months pregnant. As if that weren't enough to deal with, it's Christmas Eve and she finds herself being stalked by a crazed woman who mysteriously knows too much about her and seems relentless in her desire to hurt Sarah. Who is this unknown woman? What does she want from Sarah?

The movie opens with a bang, quite literally, with a car crash scene that didn't bother me when I first watched the original movie, but now that I've been in a car accident, I see it differently and it made me jump even though I knew it was coming. i swear they made the car crash bigger and badder in this movie than it was in the original film. This movie also does away with a lot of the mystery surrounding why the mysterious woman is after sarah. I think it's pretty clear from the beginning what she wants to do, whereas in the original film the woman's motives were kept secret until the end of the film, and it seemed like the woman was just there to torment and hurt Sarah. She also stuck mainly to the shadows in the original film, standing creepily in the background watching Sarah for hours before she makes her move. In this movie we're not even 30 minutes into the movie and the woman is already front and center, carrying out her crazy plan. I definitely think it's too much too soon and that the original movie is scarier because it keeps us in the dark about who this woman is or what she's doing.

This movie adds some twists and turns that the original movie didn't have, an opportunity for more victims. There isn't as much gore as the original had, but what gore it does have is well done. There are some good jump scares in this one too. I don't get why the other characters don't call the police, though. The movie would have been a lot shorter, but it would make more sense. I did appreciate that there's a gay couple in the movie (yay for representation!) It's not that this movie is really bad or anything necessarily, it's just not as good as the original. I recommend watching that instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment