Friday, October 13, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #54: "There's Something Wrong with the Children"

I've watched a few movies where little children turn evil and start killing people, most notably "The Children" and "Who can Kill a Child?" Those movies were good, so I'm hoping this one will be good as well. There's something about killer children that makes my blood run cold. I worked in a daycare when I first started attending college, and I learned a lot about children at that job. Mostly I learned that kids are cute but they can be little terrors when they want to be, hitting each other with toys and biting each other. Creepy little vampire children. I haven't heard anything about this movie before, so I'm going in blind. I hope it's worth the watch. Amazon seems to think i will like it, since they keep recommending it to me.

This movie is about four friends who go on a camping trip, one childless couple and one couple with two young children. That seems like an odd arrangement, like the couple without kids would feel uncomfortable, but what do I know? The childless couple agrees to watch the kids for a night so the other parents can have some time alone. Something strange happens over the course of that night and the kids start acting creepy (though I think these particular kids were already acting strange before that fateful night). Now the adults must fend for themselves against the evil children. What is going on and how do they stop it before it's too late?

This is the second time in this challenge where I've seen a movie where kids go out into the woods and come back possessed by God knows what. "Exorcist: The Believer" had a similar plot. The moral of the story is, don't let your kids go into the woods alone, you never know what they may bring back with them. This movie kind of reminds me of Hereditary in a few scenes. Mostly when something terrible happens to some kids and the adult who witnesses it wanders off in a daze instead of trying to do something to help or calling to alert someone. At least one of the characters realizes something bad is happening way before people usually do in these movies. Of course he tries to warn the others and they don't listen to him. No one wants to believe that two innocent little children are capable of doing something evil.

The adults in this movie start falling apart way before the people in "The Children" did. It took those geniuses forever to figure out that something was wrong with their kids and then they started blaming each other, which is what happens in this movie. The child actors in this movie are great. They do an admirable job being cute and creepy and evil. I know I've seen another movie like this where kids go into a cave and come back not quite right, but of course I can't remember the name right now. It was a good movie, though, I remember that. This movie is good too. I hate how the only person who sees the truth is someone with mental health issues so no one believes them, but it does make for some compelling scenes. There's only four adults in this movie who can be potential victims, so the movie has to drag some scenes out a little too long for my liking, but it does help build the tension, so I guess it's ok. Once the evil kid hijinks begin the pace of the movie starts to speed up a bit. In the end, this is a fun little chiller. Not the most original movie I've ever seen, but still pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment