Thursday, October 12, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #51: "Lights Out"

I originally saw this movie right after it came out, and I loved it. i didn't remember much about it, exceptthat a woman has been haunted by a ghost from childhood and now it'scoming after her kids. As if it weren'thard enough being a single mother, having to deal with an evil ghost complicates things even more. i think i reviewed this movie the last time i watched it, but I'mtoo lazy to look up my review and copy and paste it here, so here I am, writing a new review for the movie. Someonecan go back and compare the two reviews and see how different this one is from the last one I can tell you that I feel very differently about this movie than I did last time.

In this movie, a young woman named Becca is called to rheschool to take care of her little brother because her mom isn't functioning well. Becca ran away from home when she turned 18 because her mother had a lot of problems and she didn't want to deal with it anymore. Soon we find out that the mom is acting strangely, staying in the dark and talking to people who aren't there. Eventually, Becca gets drawn back into her family's drama, and it's then that she makes a chilling discovery: the person her mom is talking to is very real and very dangerous. Now Becca must do battle with a terrifying spirit in order to save herself and her little brother, but will it be too late?

This movie starts out with a bang and a big jump scare. For once the guy trips over something and falls, not the woman. Yay gender equality! It's creepy seeing the ghost move in the shadows. Maria Bello plays the mom in this movie. I love her, but she seems to always play a mother in distress when i see her in movies (often distress caused by some kind of paranormal activity) and i feel bad for her. In this movie she starts off by not being the best mother, but as the movie goes on her mama bear instinct scome out and she wants to protect her children, but is it too little, too late? The ending of this movie is bleaker than I remember it being, but it's a good ending and i enjoyed watching this movie again. It was fun seeingit with a crowd of people this time and seeing their reactions to the movie, watching them jump at the scares made it more fun for me. All in all I recommend this movie to people who don't mind jump scares.

No comments:

Post a Comment