Saturday, October 7, 2023

October Horror Challenge 2023 #28: "The Boogeyman (2023)"

There are a lot of movies called "The Boogeyman" (or just "Boogeyman") and I think I've seen them all. They range from pretty good to terrible, and when I saw this movie on my suggestion list from Hulu, I knew I had to watch it. I'm surprised I've never heard of this movie before. it's another one that somehow slipped by without my notice. I'll have to increase my radar frequency to catch these movies that keep escaping my notice. this movie is rated PG-13, which is neither here nor there since I've seen some good PG-13 rated horror films, but the other 2 movies I've watched today as well as all the Saw movies I've been watching lately have all been hard R-rated movies, so this one will be a nice refreshing change from what i have been seeing. I'm hoping this movie is good and that it allows me to observe how movies can scare you without having to resort to buckets of blood.

The main character in this movie is named Sadie, and she and her little sister Sawyer are still in shock about the recent death of their mother. Poor kids. As if that isn't enough on their plate, they have a father named Will who isn't helping them much because he's wallowing in his own pain. Get it together, dad. Soon they're all going to have to face their fears though, because a patient who shows up at his office (which is in his home) unannounced, brings with him a gift that nobody wants: a supernatural presence that haunts children, targets families, and feeds on the fear and terror of his victims. Now we all know that there's no such thing as ghosts, so at first, the characters are in denial about what's happening to them, but soon there's no denying the truth anymore, and they must fight for their lives against a malevolent force beyond their wildest nightmares.

So this movie isn't bad per se, it's just nothing I haven't seen before in other movies. The Boogeyman in this movie feeds on the fears of the people around it, so it jumps out of shadows a lot abd does other jump-scary things in order to keep its victims scared so it can live off their fear. The guy in the beginning of the movie who goes to Sadie and Sawyer's house and brings the evil presence with him is tired of fighting the evil thing, and I can't really blame him. Fighting wicked entities sounds exhausting, especially when you have to do it while you're grieving the loss of a loved one. His wife is still fighting the demonic thing though, so it does seem a little selfish. Sadie and Sawyer are nice kids and I liked them, so I cared what happened to them. Their dad is kind of a jerk though. You're not the only one grieving, dipwit, so stop acting like your feelings are the only ones that matter. By the time everybody's finally on the same page and they're all fighting the evil together, I was rooting for them. And they do come up with a new way to fight the monster. I've never seem anyone do that before. the only problem about this movie is that most of what happens here I've already seen in other movies, so it didn't feel fresh. I do like this movie. it manages to be a halfway decent little PG-13 horror flick. it would be a good one to watch with your kids to start getting them into horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment