Saturday, October 28, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #96: "Uncle Sam"



I've wanted to see this movie ever since I was younger and I read an article about it in Fangoria magazine. Bach when this movie came out, the country was still reeling from the conflict in Desert Storm, so patriotic media seemed to still be everywhere. This movie, being a patriotic horror movie, fit right in with the cultural zeitgeist at the time. Plus campy horror movies like "The Ice Cream Man" (which I also still haven't seen) seemed to be everywhere. I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm finally getting a chance to check this movie out.

The plot of the movie concerns a soldier killed in Desert Storm who comes back to life and decides to punish people from his small hometown who don't show enough patriotic spirit on the 4th of July. I kinda don't blame him, except it seems that he was a real asshole in life, a fact which most people seem to know except for his young nephew who idolizes him. I was a kid who idolized my uncle who was kind of a jerk too, so I can relate.

Aside from the kid, most of the characters are unlikable. I wanted to reach into the screen and kill the mom's boyfriend myself. Asshat. And the other townspeople aren't much better. At least we get to see a bunch of them die, though there's not much gore for a movie like this. I also liked the kid in the wheelchair and the disabled veteran security guard. Once I finally had some characters to actually root for, I enjoyed the movie a lot more. All in all, this movie was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment