Thursday, October 26, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #87: "The Witches of Eastwick"



This is one of those movies like so many others I've watched for the challenge this year, where I always meant to watch it but I've never gotten around to it year after year. Someone from work asked me if I'd ever seen this movie, and that reminded me and convinced me that I finally needed to give this movie a watch. I love Susan Sarandon and Cher and Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jack Nicholson always does a great job playing a creepy guy, so this movie should be a lot of fun.

This movie is about three vest friends, women from a small town who make a wish for what they want in the man of their dreams, which unbeknownst to them casts a spell that brings Satan to their town. I really do hate it when that happens. This movie surprised me right away, because I guess I always thought that the women in this movie knew that they were Witches. I mean...how do you never notice something like that? But the ladies here totally don't know that they have this power, so they keep using it by accident, but they don't realize what it is until Satan shows up. Whoops!

Jack Nicholson was perfect for this role. He's always done well playing characters who are "off," so I can totally see him as a charming but evil Satan. This is also a horror comedy, which as we all know often spells disaster for me, but I'm hoping that since the cast is great and I've wanted to see this movie for so long that it will avoid the usual pitfalls and wind up being a good movie.

Why does Satan get right to work seducing each of the women and then pitting them against each other? I get that the sex must be great, but I expected at least Cher's character to figure out what was going on. She seemed to be the most down to earth and least repressed of the three, so I was disappointed that she was this deeply affected by Satan's schemes. Douche that he is. It takes them way too long to realize what's going on in every way. They don't realize the new guy is a bad guy even long after he's done lots of bad things, they don't realize they're witches even long after they've gotten ample evidence to the fact, come on, get a clue, ladies!

Once the three friends finally do realize that something bad is happening, the movie starts to move much faster. I like Veronica Cartwright, and she's in here, playing a very repressed women from town who is also deeply affected by Satan's presence in the town. And once the ladies start to get wise, Jack Nicholson ratchets up the creepiness, and he's definitely more in his element the scarier he gets. All in all, I did wind up enjoying this movie. Sometimes movies based on books cut way too much out and wind up being choppy, or they don't cut enough and wind up being way too long and boring, but this movie strikes the right balance between those extremes and manages to work just fine. It was a fun watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment