Friday, October 20, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #65: "Mirror, Mirror"



I always thought I'd seen this movie before, but I think I just saw so many trailers and add that I stored those in my brain and imagined that I saw it, because it's not ringing a bell when I watch it now. Whoops. Either way, I've wanted to see this for years apparently, and I'm excited to finally get a chance to watch it now. Mirrors kinda freak me out, so any horror movie featuring evil mirrors is automatically creepy in my book.

Karen Black is in this movie, and I love her, so that instantly makes the movie better in my book. She's in a lot of movies that I love. Her character in this movie is fun, too. The movie is about a teenage girl who moves into an old house and discovers a mirror in the house that seems to have supernatural powers. The teenage girl is played by Rainbow Harvest (cool name) and Karen Black plays her self-centered mother. The movie is a mix of the typical teen flick about an awkward teen girl learning to fit into her new town and a horror movie about a teen being corrupted by the occult. I dig the combo since I tend to like both of those types of movies.

The teen girl in this movie is kind of odd, which of course makes it even harder for her to fit in. She kind of reminds me of Winona Ryder's character in "Beetlejuice," like both before "goth" was a term you heard everywhere. She seems like a sweet girl though, and as an outcast she's easy pray for an evil force that promises to make her powerful if she surrenders. I almost don't blame her. I'd kinda like to see most of her stuck-up classmates die horribly too, and I don't even go to school there.

It's kind of sad in a way, because I genuinely like the main character and I think she eventually would have started to fit in on her own if the damn mirror didn't go and turn her evil before she had a chance. The mirror effects in this movie are kind of silly looking, but the evil behind it is creepy. The movie drags s bit in the middle and it's pure 80s cheese, but it's still spooky fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment