Saturday, October 7, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #25: "The Invitation"



I'm finally getting around to watching this movie after everybody and their brother recommended it to me. I was going to watch it last year, but I never got around to it, and the people who recommended it to me were very disappointed in me. Of course, everyone keeps going on about how there's a twist and it's supposedly so shocking, so now all I can do is try to think up possible twists that might happen. I wonder if I'll guess it right? The downside of having watched so many movies is that I've seen a lot of plot twists, so it's kinda hard to pull the wool over my eyes. I guess we'll see what happens.

The movie has an interesting premise: a man gets an invitation to attend a party at his ex girlfriend's house with her new beauty. He brings his new girlfriend too (oh boy, that sounds like fun!) The party is awkward of course ( I can think of millions of things I'd rather do). Plus these weird-ass people creep me out. Like, damn, I'm not Captain of the sane parade by any stretch of the imagination, but these people make me look normal even before anything "scary" happens. I have to say, the irked look of irritation on the ex boyfriend's face makes my day. I would make exactly the same face if I had to deal with these dildobrains.

I have to confess, I can watch monster movies all day, but this crap? This is the kind of stuff that really gets under my skin. Seriously, my skin felt like crawling away and hiding in the closet. Ugh, it's like a big ball of socially awkward anxiety and paranoia seeping out of my pores. I can't even be mad at the characters for not figuring out that they're in danger, because the main character, Will? He gets it, he's suspicious all night, but I can totally see why, given the situation and backstory, why people would not exactly listen to his concerns and might try to get him to relax. I would totally run screaming for the hills, but I'm paranoid and suspicious of people anyway, and everyone is always telling me I'm overreacting. Maybe I am, but here, welcome to my worst nightmare, this kind of party with these kinds of people, no escape because no one else even thinks anything is wrong. I seriously wanted to cry or tear my hair out (or both).

That's something movies like this have made me realize about myself: I'm the crazy person who's always relieved in movies when the horrible stuff starts happening, because at least the tension is over and I don't have to be terrified of what will happen anymore. The first time I watched the movie "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," it made me actually physically sick to my stomach, not because of the blood and nasty torture, but because it's so long and drawn out with one character getting hurt and injured but managing to get up and keep running away, and it happened over and over again until I wanted to scream at the movie just to get it over with and kill the poor character already. I'm still impressed by that movie to this day, because that was the first time I realized a movie could affect me that badly. This movie comes pretty close to that, and if you know me, you know that's high praise coming from me. I don't think a movie has gotten to me so badly since "They Look Like People" last year. Again, high praise. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but this movie really impressed me. It might be a good thing I waited to watch it this year, because if I watched both this AND "They Look Like People" in the same month, my head might explode. If you like to spend hours staring at a movie screen and becoming more and more uncomfortable, you should check this movie out, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment