Monday, October 2, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #10: "Clown"



I've wanted to see this movie since last year, but I was hesitant to spend a lot of money on it, because quite honestly Eli Roth has been putting out some less than stellar movies lately. It pains me to say that, because I was a huge fan of his at one time. I loved "Cabin Fever" and "Hostel," and I hated "Hostel 2," but I figured everyone makes a few bad movies, so I wasn't too phased, but I hated "Knock, Knock" so much, and it showed what I felt was such a huge misunderstanding of what really makes a horror movie good, that Eli Roth's name is starting to make me want to avoid seeing movies instead of making me want to see them. That saddens me, and I don't really know if things will turn around and I'll start loving his movies again, but for now, seeing Eli Roth's name on this movie made me avoid watching it. I'm biting the bullet this year, though. Let's hope it's worth the watch.

This idea probably sounds original (guy puts on clown costume for his kid's birthday party, but then he can't get the costume off and it starts to transform him) but I've actually seen this idea done before in an installment for the anthology horror flick "Scary or Die." That movie had a lot of detractors, but I thought it was pretty good, particularly the story about the clown costume that reminds me so much of this movie.

Finding the idea of this movie to be less original than I'd hoped, this movie didn't get off on the best foot with me, but I like the main character and his wife, and his kid is cute, so the movie did grab my attention right away. At least there's good acting for me to appreciate here. And regardless of whether it's 100% original, the idea behind this movie is still pretty cool. A costume that transforms you into the character you're portraying? Especially when it's a creepy ass clown? Spooky. And the movie does take the time to build a creepy backstory, even if it does sound a bit silly (I'm scared of clowns a little, so I'm down with the idea of them being evil, plus there's more to it than that, which winds up being a cool story).

Movies like this really get on my nerves, though, when people around the main character are acting like he's crazy even when something obviously weird is going on. I have experience being the only person who sees something bad happening while everyone around me was denying it and calling me crazy. It's not fun. I do relate to the main character more because of his impossible situation though, so I guess it works to create drama. It reminds me of other similar horror stories too, like "Thinner," which I also really liked even though it made me sad and angry, too.

Ultimately, this movie is better than I was worried it might be. It's creepy and well-acted and tragic, with a sense of creeping dread and gloom that worked for me. It does get absolutely apeshit insane, especially near the end, and there's plenty of mean-spirited nastiness and gore on display. I have to say, it ended up being much better than I thought it would be. See, Eli Roth? THIS is how you make a horror movie. Take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment