Monday, October 16, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #54: "Splatter University"



In general, I love slashers. They're by far my favorite subgenre of horror movie, and I can enjoy them even if they're bad, so after a streak of disappointing movies, I figured I couldn't go wrong with an 80s slasher that I've surprisingly never seen before, so I decided to give this a whirl. It's about an escaped mental patient who kills a teacher at a local University, but is never caught. A year later, there's a new teacher at the University who, along with her students, has to deal with another bunch of murders.

These movies tend to have unlikable characters, but the ones in this movie really take the cake. There's not a single one of them that I can say I give a crap about. Even the new teacher is bland and kind of annoying, and every one of the students is obnoxious to the extreme. The headmaster/Priest guy is an asshole, so I want to see him get killed especially. And all the other teachers are dicks too. Basically I'm firmly on "team killer" in this movie. Go psycho killer, go! Get rid if these idiots!

The build up at the beginning is torturous, because I can't stand any of the characters, so I don't care about their development. Once the killings finally start, though, some if them are kind of cool. We're really in a bad place when the gore is the only part of the movie I can even stand. Overall, this is a disappointing slasher. There are much better movies out there. Watch one of those instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment