Sunday, October 15, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #52: "One Dark Night"



Marching right along to the tune of "movies Eileen has always wanted to see," we have this movie, released in 1983 after being held in post production hell for awhile. I don't remember when I first heard of this movie, and I don't even think that I really knew what it was even about, just that it was a horror movie and I wanted to watch it, like I wanted to watch all things horror back in the day.

The movie is about a famous psychic who was said to have the power of telekenesis. The psychic is found dead in a hotel room with a group of young women who are also dead. When his daughter attends his funeral, she learns from one of his friends that his powers of telekenesis were real and that ye gained power by feeding on the energy of those around him. Meanwhile, a young college girl wants to join a sorority of snobby girls, but they insist that she must go through initiation by spending the night locked in the mausoleum where the dead psychic has recently been put to rest. The girls plan to have the new girl and scare her, but things go terribly wrong when the dead psychic starts using his powers from beyond the grave.

This would have made a really good short movie, because it has some good acting and some cool effects, but there's only like half an hour of action spread out over an hour and a half of movie, so the plot just drags and drags along. There's not really anything horrifically wrong with the movie, it's just too little bang for too much buck. That's a shame too, because there's a lot of good here, and it just feels wasted as it lumps along trying to be more than what it is. Maybe if I had watched it back before I knew any better, I might have enjoyed it more, but as it is I've seen enough movies to know that this one drags way more than it should and promises more than it can ever deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment