Saturday, October 28, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #95: "Driller Killer"



What fun, a sleazy, gory horror classic from the 70s that I haven't seen yet! I've heard about this movie a few times over the years, but it always got pushed deep down and buried underneath all the useless crap I store in my brain, and I always moved on to other things. But this is the year I watch a bunch of movies I've always wanted to see but never got around to watching, so I'm finally going to check it out.

This movie is about a killer who dispatches his victims with, you guessed it, a drill. It's nice when the movie's title helpfully summarizes the plot for you like this. I can feel for the killer in a way. He's obviously not right in the head, and he slowly starts to go even more insane as the movie progresses. He has to deal with stress over his largely unsuccessful work as an artist, stress over paying the rent and bills, dealing with his two roommates (one girl who bags him constantly about bills and one who is always strung out and kinda dumb). Plus he's dealing with lousy neighbors, a punk band who play loudly at all hours of the day, and whose music starts to get inside his head and wear down whatever sanity he has left.

Next thing you know, he's out in the alleys at night killing homeless people. Like u said, I can understand his motive, but I'd have started with the band members first. But soon he's taking his rage to the streets, at first just bullying the winos, but then he graduates to torture and murder. The title card at the beginning of the movie said to turn it up loud, and I totally get why now. The music is almost another character in the movie, driving me nuts after awhile too. His life starts to slowly unravel, and I expect he soon feels like he's got nothing to lose. The movie has some great gore, blissfully gratuitous nudity, and the music really got under my skin. I dig it. Yay for sleeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment