Friday, October 27, 2017

October Horror Challenge 2017 #93: "Hide and Go Shriek"



Just when I think I've seen every 80s slasher movie, I find new ones to check out. Somehow this one flew under my radar, but as soon as I heard about it, I had to watch it, of course. I love me some cheesy 80s slashers.

This movie is about a group of high school students who decide to sneak into a furniture store and spend the night as a graduation party. Unfortunately for them, there's a crazed killer in the store with them who picks them off one by one. Ok, I gotta ask, who the hell thinks it's a good idea to sneak into a furniture store to have a party? That sounds like just about the least fun idea I can think of. It's basically what the group did in "Chopping Mall" too, and "The Initiation." What was the deal with 80s horror filmmakers and kids sneaking into stores? And why do the kids decide to play hide and seek once they get into the store? Are they five years old?

The action takes forever to get going. The movie drags on and on and ON with these characters who aren't particularly likable, so it's hard to care what happens to them. The kills are ok when they finally happen. The second murder in particular was done really well, but then it takes the other dildobrains in the store like a million years to figure out that something is wrong, and then even longer to find out what happens to their friends. The killer's backst is interesting, I guess. He's more interesting than the victims, at least. And the final scene is pretty cool too, it just takes so long to get there that I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment