Monday, October 21, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #59: "Rattlers"



Snakes creep me out. Not pet snakes, but when I'm walking through the woods and step on or near a snake, I'm likely to do a dance and tune away. I'm especially afraid of being bitten by venomous snakes. They feature often in my nightmares. Given all of this, movies about snakes don't have to do much to scare me. They don't even have to be good, and trust me, this one isn't very good, but the snakes give me the heebie jeebies enough to make it worth watching.

The movie  is about a bunch of deaths in a small desert community near a military base. The victims were all killed by snakes, so local authorities call in a famous herpetologist to help them figure out what's going on. The guy in charge of the military base is an uncooperative jerk, and he seems to be hiding something related to the deaths. A female reporter joins the herpetologist on his journey, for no real reason except to give him a love interest.

Everyone in this movie is pretty unlikable, so there's no one to really root for. I was kinda hoping the snakes would kill everyone. And why is the head of the military base always a crazy megalomaniac in movies like this? As usual with movies like this, getting to hear snarky commentary over the movie is the best part. Some of my favorite comments:

"See, I can weigh down the movie with pointless walking scenes just as well as any man!"

 "According to this movie, there's like three people in the army."

 "So you follow the snake tracks into the mine shaft, and then when you see a snake, you freak out? Well played."

 "This can only mean one thing. Some dumbass actually thought there'd be a sequel."

If you're freaked out by snakes,  you might want to check this one out. I recommend going with the commentary to help entertain you while the movie is trudging boringly along.

No comments:

Post a Comment