Thursday, October 31, 2019

October Horror Challenge 2019 #101: "The Invoking V: Phantoms"



Don't ask me how, but for some reason, an overlong and ultimately unsuccessful psychological horror movie from 2013 became a halfway decent collection of horror anthology movies. Yeah, I'm just as surprised as you are, but these movies are creepy fun. Not always the best when you look at the stories as a whole, but there's always at least one standout story, so they're worth checking out, at least for me.

As always, the stories here don't really have a connection to each other, but short, sweet, and for the most part scary. The first story is really  creepy,  and I hate it when my neighbors knock on my door too, so I can totally relate. To my surprise,  I actually liked the second story too, about a repressed housewife haunted by something in her house. There's also a couple of college students living together who get a creepy old book (I love books, but even I would take a pass on this one), then terrible things start happening. I get the message, books are bad, right? This story is actually gory and kind of cool.

The last story deals with the end of the world, another apocalypse predicted, with references to other reports of the apocalypse that have happened in past years. The protagonist is a guy who is sick of these reports, and sick of life in general, as he finds out that there might be more truth to this report of the end of the world. This is actually a pretty darkly comedic episode. Definitely more sophisticated than I expected it to be. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. This whole collection was good, there wasn't one story I didn't like. It's way better than any movie with the number 5 after its title has any right to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment