Sunday, October 4, 2009

Open Water 2: Adrift (movie #11)

I have to say, this one surprised me. It's really just a little low budget movie called "adrift" that was picked up by a studio and released under the title "Open Water 2" in order to boost sales, which is good for the exposure, but bad because it gives this movie a sleazy cash-in kind of sound that it really doesn't deserve. I almost didn't buy it ("WTF are they going to do to make a sequel to "Op[en Water," have zombies fighting sharks? Fulci already did that...") but my curiosity got the better of me a few years ago and I bought it, and I was pleasantly surprised. Seeing it again today, I remember why.

In this movie, 6 old friends meet up on their one friend's yacht for his birthday party, but when everyone takes a swim and the birthday boy decides to jump overboard with the girl who's terrified of water, he forgets to lower a ladder, and now they're all trapped in the water, getting more and more exhausted and cold as time drags on and their attempts to get back on board the yacht fail. This situation is horrible, as the boat is right there taunting them but out of their reach. What's more, one couple left their sleeping baby on board, and when she wakes up and they have to listen to her cry, it's heartbreaking. I have drowned before, and this movie brings back those helpless memories, and it's not a good feeling. It's harrowing to watch these people go through that situation. The movie isn't perfect, but it's enough to tug at my heart and bring me back for repeated viewings.

No comments:

Post a Comment