Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (movie #87)

People say that the "producer's cut" of this movie is better, but for my money, the theatrical cut is just as good. The story goes something like this: The original cut of this movie relied very heavily on Donald Pleasance, and when he died, the studio wanted the movie reshot because he wouldn't be able to continue the series since he was dead. That original cut of the movie is still looming around the internet and among fans, and it's been dubbed the "producer's cut" of the movie. Because it's said to be so much better than the theatrical cut, I wanted to see it for years, but when I finally did, it...well, it kind of sucks. I mean, it's ok, but I LIKED the theatrical release (it's not perfect, no, but it's ok, and it's not as bad as people say it is) sop I was underwhelmed with the "producer's cut" of the movie, since I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It's good, but it's also bad in different ways than the original. I don't know. Like I said, I like the theatrical version.

The plot is kind of dumb, but for the sixth movie in a series, that's to be expected. Jamie Lloyd (Laurie's daughter who was kidnapped by a mysterious man dressed in black at the end of part 5) is pregnant (yeah,.she aged a lot in the time between the two movies...and ew, she had sex with her uncle...ew ew ew) and she gives birth in some kind of icky Satanic ritual, then manages to escape with the baby only to be killed by Michael who wants the baby back. But she hides the baby and she's lucky that the person who finds the baby is Tommy Doyle (the little boy from the original Halloween, all grown up) and he can protect the baby because he knows of Micheal's past. Meanwhile, there's a family living in the old Strode house who are about to discover that they're connected to Michael Myers in a way they never dreamed.

Ok, yeah, it's really dumb. But there are some really cool kill scenes, some cool chase scenes, and a monologue by a creepy old woman that makes the whole movie so much fun. Trust me, the Producer's Cut isn't much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment