Saturday, October 31, 2009

Borderland (movie #81)

The first time I saw this movie, I hated it. this time around, I liked it more, but it still pales in comparison to "Hostel" and "Turistas" and other movies of the same kind that I really like. Basically, some visitors in a foreign country (here it's Mexico) run afoul of some people who want them dead, and the visitors are tortured and killed in horrible ways without much chance of escape. The cops seem to either be in on the killing or indifferent to it, and there's a lot of spiritual mumbo-jumbo from a local drug dealer who thinks torturing and killing someone will give him super powers or something. I don't really get it. Even after they explain the beliefs of the "cult" or whatever you want to call them (the people who want to torture and kill the tourists) it still sounds dumb to me. I guess it's supposedly based on a true story. that's what the article in Fangoria (a horror magazine) said. I find the events of the movie singularly unimpressive, though. I like all the other "tourists get tortures" movies a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment