Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Family Stone (April 27, 2010)



This is one of those movies that I wrote off as a cute little romantic comedy, so I wasn't in any rush to see it (I like those kinds of movies, but there's no need to see them right away). Then suddenly people all around me were telling me what a good movie this was, people who don't usually go for simple romantic comedies, so I bought this movie fully intending to watch it, then I let it sit on my shelf for like, five months. I just watched it today, and let me tell you, it's far more than a simple romantic comedy.

Dermot Mulroney plays a very serious guy who plans to take his future fiance home to meet his family for the first time. Sarah Jessica Parker plays his girlfriend, and she's wound MUCH too tightly, which his family sees right through and exploits for everything they can. See, they're one of THOSE families...they're close and loving, but they're very sarcastic with each other, which is fine for people who are in on the joke, but hell for someone from the outside who is intimidated and uptight. Basically, the holiday is a disaster and things go unexpectedly apeshit, but the movie manages to tie everything together and be an enjoyable experience just the same. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll leave it at that. I guess one of the plot twists within the first five minutes of the movie but the rest came as a pleasant surprise, and this is definitely going to go down as one of my favorite Christmas movies ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment