Monday, August 6, 2012

Magnum P.I. season 1 Pilot Episode: "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii"


I used to watch this show when I was a kid and I loved every episode. I remembered John Magnum as a guy who hung around with his friends and solved mysteries and partied a lot. I didn't pick up then on how melancholy he could be, when memories of Vietnam took over his life, like in this pilot episode when one of his old army buddies is murdered whilst ostensibly smuggling cocaine into the US. Of course Magnum knows his friend would never do that, and of course no one believes him, so Magnum has to prove his friend's innocence without getting himself killed in the process. It's a good episode and a good introduction to the character, and it's a lot deeper than I gave it credit for back when I didn't understand the subtext.

No comments:

Post a Comment