Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fatal Attraction


I never watched this movie before last night. Of course, when I was a kid I heard about it, since it caused quite a stir when it came out (Adrian Lyne likes causing a stir with his movies) but I didn't want to see it much, which is probably for the best, since this movie definitely isn't for kids. It's about a man who has a nice life with a nice wife and a nice family who meets an attractive woman at a party for his work and has a whirlwind affair with her one weekend while his wife is away. that's the thing about this guy, he's not even trapped in a bad marriage, he enjoys his life, he just gets bored one weekend, and since there isn't anything good on TV, he figures, "why not fuck around on my wife?" In case you can't tell, I have a hard time mustering up much sympathy for him (especially since the woman he cheats with looks like a raving lunatic to me right from the start, and if he'd listened to me yelling through the screen at him, he'd never have had the affair in the first place).

But alas, he DOES have the affair, and the woman he cheats with turns out to be a tad unstable (like the passengers on The titanic got a tad wet) and when the normal guy wants to go back to his normal life, the woman doesn't want to let him go, and things start getting worse and worse and worse until everything falls apart. The movie is actually good, which I wasn't expecting. Usually when people blather on raving about a movie, I wind up not ,liking it and being annoyed with them, but everyone was right about this one. It's seductive and sexy and menacing and creepy and disturbing. I knew what was going to happen to that rabbit right from the very beginning of the movie, and I still cringed at that scene. The movie hasn't lost any of its power over the years. hell, people have blathered every twist in the movie to me, so I knew every thing that was going to happen, and I still sat on the edge of my seat. Well played, Adrian Lyne, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment