Monday, October 10, 2011

2011 October Horror Movie Challenge Movie 32: Carver



I remember watching this movie for a horror challenge a few years ago and being amazed at how good it was, but I was tired and possibly delusional, so I wanted to check it out again and see if it was actually as good as I had remembered, especially since so many reviews for the movie were negative. People complained that it had bad acting, that it was gratuitously gross, and that the camera work was shaky at best. to those people I say: shut up and go watch "Citizen Cane" again and leave us trolls to have our fun. This movie was good. Yes, the camera work is shaky...most of the time it's supposed to be that way, as it's some grainy footage of people being butchered in the backwoods, and if those scenes had been polished, people would have bitched that it was unrealistic. The acting is NOT that bad, especially considering that the movie was shot for like, $10 in someone's backyard. I've seen worse acting in high-budget Hollywood movies. There are some very famous actors that I won't name who are PAID to suck at acting. These people delivered their lines and made me believe what they said, so that's all I ask. Yes, the movie was gross. It's a movie about somebody chopping up campers in the woods; what did you expect? There's one scene with an outhouse toilet that actually made me want to puke, but for me, that's a GOOD thing. I don't think every horror movie needs to be nasty to be good, but the nastiness worked in this movie. Yeah, the characters make a bunch of boneheaded moves, but so do characters in every horror movie. If they were smart, the movie would be ten minutes long and very boring. For their part, once the shit starts getting gruesome, the characters actually try to fight back, which is better than some horror movies I could name. the movie got under my skin and got that goddamn creepy "Turkey in the Straw" song stuck in my head, and now I'll never be able to look at that song the same way again. Thanks a LOT, "Carver."

Is it recommended? I don't know how to answer that question. Some guy gets bashed with an outhouse toilet, a girl gets nails driven into her, several people get hacked in the head with a saw...does that sound like your idea of a good time? Then, yes, I recommend this movie. "Citizen Cane" it is not, but it was a bit of nasty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment