Thursday, October 6, 2011

2011 October Horror Movie Challenge Movie 19: The Ward



This movie intrigued me. I love Amber Heard and will watch anything she's in, whether it's good or bad, but I had high hopes for this one since the institutional setting is usually creepy and effective in a horror movie. This movie didn't disappoint. Amber Heard gives a great performance as a young woman slowly becoming more and more unhinged as she sees freaky things happening around her and is at the mercy of the hospital staff to take care of her. But what if she can't trust them? What if something evil is trying to attack her and she can't run away to get help because her fears sound like psychotic delusions? The premise is good and the movie is short enough that the scenes don't drag while we're waiting for the whole twist to be revealed at the end. I wasn't sure how I felt about the twist at first, but after letting it sit for a bit, I like it. I think it's a much better attempt at a twist that occurred in another popular thriller that everyone seemed to like but I hated. I definitely think this movie handles the material much better (plus we get to look at amber Heard while we're waiting for the mystery to unfold). this movie is worth checking out. A lot of people seemed to dislike it, but I definitely enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment