Sunday, October 9, 2011

2011 October Horror Movie Challenge Movie 22: Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld



Yes, I realize that this is the eighth movie in the Hellraiser series; that's not a typo up there. Why did I watch it before part seven, then? Well, the DVD I bought has the movies listed in order on the DVD's opening menu, so I popped it in and clicked the seventh movie listed without bothering to read the title. I just kind of assumed it would be the seventh movie in the series. I know, stupid of me, right? But then by the time I figured out it must be the EIGHTH movie instead (who the hell fucked up the order of the movies? Who puts the eighth movie before the seventh?) it was already twenty minutes into the movie, so I just left it, since I didn't want to skip back to the beginning and start again after I was already involved in the story of the movie. Sue me. I'll watch the seventh movie later.

Yes, you read that right, I was involved in the story (that wasn't a typo either). I know everyone has probably told you that "Hellraiser: Hellworld" is a terrible movie, and maybe they all agree with me and I'm the odd one out (wouldn't be the first time) but I really liked this movie. Right from the beginning, when a young man gets himself all dead whilst playing a game known as "Hellworld," I thought it was an interesting premise (and yeah, I kinda wanted to play the game too...I expect to open a portal to hell any day here now). This is actually the first time one of these damn Hellraiser movies has seemed plausible to me. Before I've been shaking my head at the stupidity of people trying to relieve boring lives and or boring sex by buying a puzzle box and opening a portal to hell. Idiots. But I would TOTALLY get sucked in by a video game, so I guess Pinhead DOES have a way to get my soul after all. I'm screwed. Anyway, a young man dies and his friends are mourning him, until two years after his death they get an invitation to a rave at "Hellworld" and of course, they all go, because Hellworld is just a game and there could be nothing dangerous about this situation, right?

The gore is pretty cool here, and it's fun to see a bunch of horror geeks onscreen, since that's totally me (one guy even wears a Pinhead shirt at one point that I want) and watching them all die freaky deaths is creepy yet kind of cool. There are some twists at hand, of course, but I dug them all (until that very ending when things got a little too stupid for words...I think upon future viewings, I'm going to stop the movie before all that dumb stuff happens, at the scene in the graveyard). Other than the very ending, though, I enjoyed the whole movie, so I'm stoked. The movie wasn't a bad way to kill an hour and a half, and it's way better than everyone told me it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment