Saturday, September 1, 2012

Agatha Christie's "The Mirror Crack'd"


I love Agatha Christie. Her mysteries were totally bizarre, with creepy twists and twisted turns that left me reeling, and so I wanted to check this movie out because of that, even before I learned that practically everyone in the cast was a well-known star. Angela Lansbury plays Miss Marple, the old lady who notices every detail and solves every crime she encounters, so the cops in her town don't have to do much but come over for tea and sit back and let her do all the work. Elizabeth Taylor, Tony Curtis, Rock Hudson, and a score of other well-known actors also populate this tale of a rivalry between two old-time movie actresses that turns deadly after a cast party where a woman dies after sipping a glass of poison that was meant for one of the actresses instead. The movie is pretty twisted, like I hoped it would be, and though I guessed who the killer was, I didn't guess the motivation behind the killing, and it's a doozy. The movie actually winds up being kind of melancholy and tragic in the end, which is something Christie did well. It's not for everyone, but fans of Christie's books and fans of shows like "Murder, She Wrote" will probably enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment