Sunday, October 16, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #67: "The Djinn (2021)"

I almost bought this movie a few months back. I have a thing for evil genie movies, and this looked like a good one, but I decided to wait until I could see if I could watch it in October for the challenge, and look what showed up on Amazon Prime! It was meant to be. This movie is about a mute boy who finds himself trapped in an apartment with an evil creature after he makes a wish for his heart's desire. This movie takes place in 1989, so it's set in the past. The boy is named Dylan, and his mom is dead and he lives with his father in an apartment that is home to a creepy old antique mirror and an old book that contains instructions for summoning a Djinn (you should always make sure your apartment doesn't contain instructions for summoning an evil genie before you leave your kid alone there).

Why is it whenever there's a movie that has a character with asthma there's always a scene where the character forgot their inhaler and they need it? Don't you people realize you're going to need that thing? When I was in college a friend of mine was always leaving her inhaler behind because she said she didn't need it but then she always ended up needing it and we had to rush home for her to get it. I don't understand not realizing you're going to need something that helps you breathe, but I guess this scene is realistic if even a college student forgets her inhaler, you can't expect a nine year old to be able to remember it.

The movie is a little confusing, because the boy sees a dark shadowy genie in the apartment after him while we see a man, so I don't know what that's about it's like the actor forgot his costume for some of the scenes. It's still creepy seeing the boy be stalked through the apartment though. I guess the book says the Djinn takes the form of someone who's dead, so the people the boy sees must be dead people the Djinn is mimicking .That's creepy. Plus the Djinn is blind with white sightless eyes, and it stumbles blindly around the apartment looking for Dylan, which is really freaky to watch. And of course there's the obligatory twist at the end for those who don't need the Djinn's warning. This is a cool little movie and I'm glad I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment