Tuesday, October 18, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #75: "Scare Me"

Shudder is killing it with all this original content they're coming out with lately. They have a lot of Shudder original movies to choose from on their streaming site, mixed in with all the classic horror flicks and recent horror flicks they have available. This one intrigued me because it's about a man and a woman who are trapped in a cabin during a power outage one dark and cold night, so they decide to pass the time by telling each other scary stories. I like this plot, because my friends and I used to pass the time trying to tell each other scary stories to see if we could scare each other. I was hoping there would be some scary stories here in this movie. So how did it pan out?

My mistake was in thinking this was going to be a horror anthology film, with an overarching story of these two people telling each other scary stories, while each story is its own little filmed horror movie, that's how these types of movies usually play out, right? But this movie was different. It's really just this man and this woman telling each other stories (with a brief interlude where their pizza delivery man joins them) and that's it, that's the whole movie. I guess in a movie like this, whether you like it or not really hinges on how you feel about the two main characters, how they play off each other, and for me, I ended up really liking the two main characters and their story of trying to tell stories to scare each other. It's strange, but it was a fun little ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment