Thursday, October 13, 2022

October Horror Challenge 2022 #54: "Coherence (2013)"

This movie has been floating around in my subconscious ever since it was released. Right after it was released on DVD one of my friends saw it and told me that it was a total mindfuck of a movie and that I had to see it, but I had to pay close attention because it had a bunch of twists and turns and I would miss something if I didn't pay close attention. This made me hesitant to see the movie because I was worried I wouldn't be able to pay close enough attention and I would miss everything. This feeling grew as time passed and I passed up opportunities to see this movie because I wasn't in the mood to pay close attention and I didn't want to miss everything and end up confused and not be able to write a good review of the movie. I finally decided to check this movie out today and hope I can pay close enough attention to keep up with the plot twists of this movie. Wish me luck!

This movie has a simple enough concept. Eight friends at a dinner party start to experience strange happenings while a mysterious comet passes overhead. There are tensions between some of the guests, some relationship drama because some of the guests used to date each other and broke up, so there is an undercurrent of tension in all their interactions even before anything spooky starts to happen. Remind me never to go to a dinner party with these people. Once they decide they have to split up to figure things out, the tension ratchets up to unbearable levels. Will they be able to figure out what is going on or will events take a deadly turn?

How in the world do I review this movie? Let's see. Once when I was in college a friend of mine told me a story about a time she was sick and she took Nyquil and then she went to sleep, and when she woke up, she couldn't find the floor. Ever since then, whenever something totally strange and trippy happens, we say "I took Nyquil and I can't find the floor." It's our silly way of acknowledging those times when reality takes a rain check and nothing is making sense. In that vein, as far as this movie is concerned, I'm not even sure the floor EXISTS anymore (we have evolved beyond floors now, we all float here Georgie). This movie is nuts, is what I'm saying. You can pay attention all you want, but there's a good chance you'll get left behind at some point, wondering what happened to the floor.

There's a lot of physics in this movie, discussion of string theory and alternate realities and how they differ from our own, care and feeding of Schrodinger's cat, and so on. Back when I was in college I went to the fair with a friend and we rode on a ride called the Whirly-Bird, where you're held in place by a small strap and spun around so fast that you actually lift off the ground and you're clinging to the wall for dear life, trying not to fly away out into the atmosphere. That's what watching this movie is like. It's best that you know nothing about it before watching it, and you need to strap yourself in and hold on tight because you're going to get spun into an alternate universe if you're not careful. I highly recommend this movie, but it's a hell of a ride. Make sure you're strapped in and good luck finding the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment