Monday, June 11, 2012

The Hangover Part II



People complained a lot about this movie. I thought that the first one was so funny that I wanted to see the second one in theaters, but everyone's pissing and moaning about how bad it was scared me off. I kind of get it, too. It's really hard to do a sequel to a movie that's as successful as the first "Hangover." Everyone's expectations will be so high that almost anything will let them down, and I think people might have forgotten how WEIRD the first movie was in their rush to remember how good it was and how much it made them laugh. The humor even in the first one was very dry and very dark, and the second is even more so, which can be disconcerting when the movie opens and you're remembering all the laughs you had with the original and for the first five minutes it feels like you're watching "Turistas 2" or one of the "Hostel" movies. The characters play everything straight, so the laughs are uncomfortable sometimes...I mean, at one point we're watching three guys ride around in a boat in Bangkok and they're looking for their lost friend and they don't remember what happened to him because they were all drugged the night he disappeared, and one guy is holding a guitar and singing a song about what's happening, and the other characters are commenting on his lyrics like it's a conversation they're having, and it's weird and surreal and disconcerting. It's funny, too, but not the kind of funny you get in most comedies, which I think put people off. There's also the fact that some of the character's actions seem downright creepy and wouldn't be out of place in one of the horror movies I mentioned earlier (I'm looking at YOU, Alan). After I got over that though, I laughed a lot and I think I might even have enjoyed this movie MORE than the first one, which is something I really didn't expect. I'll take it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment