Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Precious: Based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire



I tried to watch this movie while it was in theaters. I obtained a screener and I watched half of it, and then it got to be too much for me, so I set it aside. I finally revisited it yesterday, and the movie is well worth watching. It hits me a little too close to home...I lived this life, or at least a life close enough to this one that it was painful to revisit. I adore Gabourey Sibide and she does such a good job with this role that I admire her so much. People have made disparaging comments about how she was just "playing her own life" onscreen, but shes said herself that her own life was much different from the life of this character, but she recognized Precious because she's "walked by this girl a thousand times without looking at her, and I owe it to her to tell her story." And she does. Mo'Nique, whom I've loved for years, nearly tore my heart out in this movie. I saw so much of my own mother in this woman that it was physically painful to watch. I'm so impressed with her performance and glad she's gotten the recognition and awards she deserved for being able to go there and take us all there with her, whether we wanted to go or not. This movie isn't for everyone, but I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment