Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday, February 8, 2010: "Tyler Perry's The Family that Preys"

I'm on a Tyler Perry kick. I loved "I Can Do Bad all by Myself" when I saw it in theaters, and I just bought the DVD, so I'm trying to catch up on his other movies before I watch it again. I have to say, I liked this one a lot, too. It's not perfect, and I have to agree with other viewers who say at times the dialogue feels clunky, but it's a walk in the park compared to "Nights in Rodanthe," so don't worry. Originally I wanted to see this movie mostly because of Kathy Bates and Alfre Woodard (I love both of them, and they do a wonderful job portraying two complex characters with a great friendship) but I found that I liked a lot of the other characters as well. I also hated some of the characters, but I don't think I'm supposed to like them. I kept wanting to shake and/or punch people AND YELL "SHE'S YOUR WIFE, STOP TREATING HER LIKE THAT" or "HE'S YOUR HUSBAND, STOP BEING SUCH A BITCH TO HIM!"

I'll warn you, the characters in this movie are complicated, by which I mean it's hard to root for a lot of them because even when they're doing something "good" their motives are clouded by greed or jealousy or a million other "bad" things. As a general rule, the rich people tend to let money corrupt them and they become evil, and the poor people tend to be hardworking good people. This holds true in my own experience, so I don't mind it so much in the movie, but I can see why it made people complain when this movie was released (other than the fact that people just seem to hate Tyler Perry and thus bash everything he makes). I like the idea that family and faith and friendship are so important to this movie, and I like how character that live mainly for themselves find out that this is an empty existence. I wish it happened more often in life but at least I get to see it onscreen. Overall, this movie is worth checking out. I still liked "I Can do Bad all by Myself" better, but this one was complex and interesting in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment