Sunday, November 1, 2015

2015 October Horror Challenge #101 "Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension"



Since I make a point of watching these movies every Halloween, I was excited to have a new one to check out in theaters this year.  It didn't really need to be in 3D, that seemed like a silly gimmick to me, since the allure of these movies is that they use minimal special effects to present a haunting in a way that seems more real, but I was excited to see it nonetheless, despite the negative reviews.  There hasn't been one of these movies that I've hated; the second one is my least favorite, but I still thought it was ok and I've watched it more than once.  So how did the sixth installment fare?

Think about that: this is the SIXTH movie in this series.  It has its problems, but it's better than the SIXTH movie in ANY series has any right to be.  This one tries to tie up loose ends and leftover questions from the last five movies, focusing mainly on the third installment and the ideas presented there of a cult that is after children.  In this movie, a family finds a box in their house with an old camera and video tapes they didn't know existed.  The tapes show a family together in the late 80s, but eventually start to show strange supernatural activity focusing on some young girls.  Soon, their own young daughter starts behaving strangely, talking to an imaginary friend who seems to be asking her to do creepy things, and the family videos they take start showing odd and apparently paranormal events.

This is relatively the same plot we've seen in all the movies, but as I said before, it ties up some loose ends from the other movies in the series.  If you've wondered what happened to Katie and Kristy as kids, this movie answers that.  The problem, I think, is that we've seen a lot of what this movie does before.  The jump scares, shadows, weird noises, everythong that builds the tension in a movie like this can seem tedious the second time around, let alone the sixth.

I don't agree with the reviewers who say it's "unwatchable" (if you think this is unwatchable, you haven't seen enough bad movies) but I get how it could be boring.  I enjoyed this movie, but I did think it dragged a bit and took too long to get to the point, which shouldn't happen in an hour and twenty minute movie.  The actors do pretty well with their roles, especially the mom and the little girl, and while I thought it was corny at first, I eventually warmed up to the story of what happened to the little girls after the third film.  Overall, this movie drags too much and covers ground we've seen before, but I still enjoyed watching it, which for the sixth movie in a series, is saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment